The decision of where to draw the line should go beyond the President and our other elected officials. The subject demands a national discussion that begins now. A part of the discussion must be whether the enemy includes the Muslim faith itself or is it against small splinter groups and individuals within that religion. The American people need to be educated on this issue.
“This is not to begrudge anyone their faith — whatever gets you through the night, brothers and sisters. Rather, it is to say that you should be free to have your faith govern your life but not to extend it to the governance of others’ lives.” History In Real Time, New York Times, March 28, 2013
The problem is created if you are convinced as a Christian it is your duty to protect against attacks against your religious beliefs. If God intended only a man and women should marry you feel compelled to oppose any decision going against what God intended. Most of us believe our religious beliefs trump secular laws.
What we are experiencing relative to gay rights and marriage is the same thing some Muslims are going through relative to Christians. If they believe all Christians are infidels and need to be killed, no secular government is going to change their mind.
I am leaning in favor of allowing gays to marry; however, perhaps I am going against some Catholic teachings and I will end up in hell. These issues are not easy.
“Do It Right, Or Don’t Do It At All.”Anonymous
“We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.”
- We must define what is meant by “general welfare” as referred to in the Constitution.
- We must decide whether the nation still has special obligations to our black citizens as a result of allowing slavery for almost 100 years and discrimination far beyond that.
- We must decide whether government has a role in protecting small business from big oligopolies that destroy free markets and jobs.
- We must review all departments, agencies and programs and cut back or eliminate any that are not warranted.
- Calculate projected revenues for the fiscal year
- Calculate projected expenditures for the fiscal year, including any pay-down of existing debt.
- Do one of the following
- If expenditures exceed revenues, ascertain what expenditures to cut.
- If revenues exceed expenditures, decide what to do with revenues.